Table of Contents
- Single target / two targets
- AoE (3 or more targets)
- Special cases
- Ascendance on varying target counts.
- Surge of Power with T28: Fireheart 2p active.
- Vesper Totem with Raging Vesper Vortex equipped.
- Master of the Elements
- Icefury with Windspeaker’s Lava Resurgence equipped and Elemental Blast talented.
- Stormkeeper + Surge of Power
- Storm Elemental in Single Target
- Storm Elemental + Primal Elementalist
- Surge of Power and 2 targets
- Common misconceptions and mistakes
The elemental priority is fairly straightforward — the choice of which spell to cast next is often easy to make. The only issue you might face will be to learn the different ways the priorities shift with different talents. We have done our best to condense the SimulationCraft Action Priority List (APL) into a human-readable, easy to understand form. If you want to investigate any minor details, please refer to the APL in SimulationCraft or contact us on Discord.
After reading the APL, please pay attention to the special mentions below, because we couldn’t fit all special cases and handling into the readable formated APL.
If you have suggestions with sim evidence to back them up, please let us know on Discord.
Single target / two targets
- Cast Meteor / Eye of the Storm if no multi-target will happen soon. Make sure Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning before you activate Eye of the Storm.
- Cast Fire Elemental / Storm Elemental on cooldown.
- Cast Flame Shock when any of the following are true:
- It is not active on the target.
- The debuff's duration is at or below 6 seconds remaining.
- Cast Lava Burst with Lava Surge active.
- Cast Earthquake if you're fighting 2 or more enemies and your next cast would take you above 100 Maelstrom.
- Cast Earth Shock if your next cast would take you above 100 Maelstrom and fighting 1 target. Note: if Windspeaker's Lava Resurgence is equipped and Ascendance is active, you should avoid overcapping Maelstrom.
- Cast Primordial Wave on a target without Flame Shock or the target with the lowest duration remaining. Delay it if adds are gonna spawn, if it doesn't lead to you losing a use.
- Cast Vesper Totem on cooldown.
- Cast Fae Transfusion on cooldown (buff it with Master of the Elements if talented into that).
- Cast Elemental Blast on cooldown, if Ascendance is not active and ideally with less than 70 maelstrom.
- Cast Stormkeeper on cooldown.
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Stormkeeper is active and when any of the following are true (if you don't see any following conditions, ignore this line):
- Cast Earth Shock. But read the special cases about delaying Earth Shock casts because of Master of the Elements.
- Cast Frost Shock with the Icefury buff and Master of the Elements buff active.
- Cast Lava Burst with Surge of Power if you could get another use out of Storm Elemental/Fire Elemental or lengthen its last possible duration within the fight.
- Cast Lightning Bolt with Surge of Power buff active.
- Cast Lava Burst.
- Cast Frost Shock with the Icefury buff active.
- Cast Icefury on cooldown.
- Cast Chain Harvest.
- Cast .
- Cast Lightning Bolt versus one target and Chain Lightning versus two and more targets as a filler.
- Cast Frost Shock while moving, if you don't have any other instants, even if you do not have Icefury.
AoE (3 or more targets)
- Cast Primordial Wave on cooldown. Making sure to apply a fresh Flame Shock to a target if possible. See Special Mention below for furher information.
- Cast Meteor / Eye of the Storm against as many targets as possible. Make sure Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning before you activate Eye of the Storm.
- Cast Fire Elemental / Storm Elemental on cooldown.
- Cast Stormkeeper on cooldown.
- Maintain 3 Flame Shocks if there are 3 targets, maintain 1 if there are 4 or more and you're forced to move.
- Cast Earthquake when available. (On less than 5 targets try gaming Master of the Elements.)
- Cast Lava Burst to consume Lava Surge procs when either less than 3 targets present, or when moving and more than 4 targets present
- Cast Chain Lightning.
Special mention When playing Necrolord in AoE scenarios with Splintered Elements active, you should attempt to increase the number of Flame Shock active shortly before Primordial Wave is available and for the duration of the Primordial Wave buff ensuring to cast Lava Burst before it runs out! This is not maintained otherwise.
Special mention There are many caveats with Master of the Elements when in AoE situations. It is generally worth using Lava Surge procs to empower Earthquakes, even on 4+ targets. On more than 4 targets, only apply Flame Shock to one of the targets, ideally a target with higher health than the rest. Use Lava Surge procs on the afflicted target in order to empower Earthquake. With this in mind, be careful not to overdo it; it will very likely result in a loss of DPS if enemies die before your Earthquake finishes ticking when you could have used the spell earlier.
Special mention When T28: Fireheart 4p is active using procs in AoE becomes DPS neutral, this does assume that you will benefit from the extra duration provided however so the default behaviour remains the same as above - use when you are forced to move, no active Flame Shock is required but it remains an excellent movement global when no Lava Surge is active!
Follow the cast sequences below for your chosen opener. A red arrow indicates the time the boss is pulled. Please note that openers are a very minor and nit-picky increase (or sometimes decrease!), and adapting to the fight is much more important.
Standard raid opener:
Night Fae with Standard talents:
Night Fae with Standard talents and T28: Fireheart 2p:
If you are using Elemental Blast:
Ascendance on varying target counts.
- On single target the only part of the Ascendance priority that changes is whether to spend Maelstrom or not and that depends on which legendary you are using:
- As targets increase there are some changes to what you would do with Ascendance active which are not related to legendary choice - the nature of Deeply Rooted Elements is that of a gambler however this advice will provide the best results on average, if you choose to commit to gambling may the RNG forever be in your favour.
- Note: the above priority includes spells that do not have cooldowns in order to show that one spell is clearly favoured over the other i.e. Lava Beam is included in the 2 and 3 target lists only to show that it is weaker than casting a Lava Burst.
Surge of Power with T28: Fireheart 2p active.
- When you are able to equip T28: Fireheart 2p, it can be a dps increase to use Surge of Power instead of Primal Elementalist or Icefury. You should sim your character to determine if this is a choice you should make at this specific gearing stage, and note that it is only applicable to Single Target scenarios and Covenant choice may impact this.
- You need to have Windspeaker’s Lava Resurgence equipped and the playstyle from there is straightforward. Use the Surge of Power buff on Lava Burst after every Earth Shock, which is essentially typical gameplay. Note: there is potential to increase the effectiveness of this build further by incorporating some Lightning Bolt usage on very strict conditions
- When Double Legendary is equipped this small niche for Surge of Power becomes neutral for Night Fae, potentially still valuable for other Covenants - consult your sims!
- When T28: Fireheart 4p is active Surge of Power becomes useless once more, until next time!
Vesper Totem with Raging Vesper Vortex equipped.
- During PTR testing it was potentially a DPS increase to cast Healing Spells in order to trigger the Healing Charge explosion of Raging Vesper Vortex when used in conjunction with Ancestral Guidance.
- On live servers, casting Ancestral Guidance is not triggering a Healing Charge of Vesper Totem and so cannot be used to trigger the explosion of Raging Vesper Vortex more efficiently.
- As a result, on live servers this behaviour is no longer a strict increase in DPS but you can trigger the charges with Healing Surge if your group needs additional healing value. Otherwise you should ignore the second charge of Raging Vesper Vortex as an Elemental shaman.
- Change: Delay Earth Shock without wasting Maelstrom to cast it with Master of the Elements instead.
- Priority of casts you want to empower with Master of the Elements from best to worst:
- don’t stress too much over gaming Master of the Elements. It mostly happens naturally.
Icefury with Windspeaker’s Lava Resurgence equipped and Elemental Blast talented.
- The priority with these conditions met is a little complex so this section can be used to help players learn and become more familiar with the setup.
- Use Icefury on cooldown, or as higher priority if a mechanic will force you to move in the next 5 seconds.
- Icefury charges should aim to be consumed before they expire, subject to the following priority:
- Lava Burst (without Master of the Elements active), Elemental Blast and Earth Shock have higher priority when Icefury buff duration is higher than the GCDs required to spend the remaining stacks.
- Flame Shock has the highest priority when Icefury buff duration is approaching the GCDs required to spend the remaining stacks.
- It can be helpful to stagger use of Stormkeeper to avoid conflict with Icefury
- Avoid overthinking Master of the Elements, the buff is worth 20% of the spell it effects but losing an Icefury charge is losing 100%.
- GCDs: Mentioned above is duration as measured by GCDs required, to clarify each Icefury charge requires one GCD to spend which is a base of 1.5s and is reduced by Haste. This means if you have three stacks of Icefury remaining you will need
3 x 1.5 = 4.5seconds minimum to spend the charges, and haste will reduce this amount however for learning purposes using the base amounts is advised.
- Change: You pool Maelstrom before casting Stormkeeper to combo both empowered Lightning Bolt with Surge of Power
- Example cast sequence:
Storm Elemental in Single Target
In 9.2 after the changes to Storm Elemental reducing Wind Gust from 20 to 10 stacks, Storm Elemental no longer changes the single target rotation meaningfully. This means you continue to follow the basic rotational priority regardless of Storm Elemental being active or not. Check the priority list above for this.
Combining Storm Elemental with Primal Elementalist enables access to Eye of the Storm. This powerful ability needs to be activated manually. Make sure to use it regardless of target count shortly after your Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning.
#showtooltip /use [talent:6/3]Icefury;[pet: Primal Storm Elemental]Eye of the Storm;[pet: Primal Fire Elemental]Meteor;[pet: Primal Earth Elemental]Harden Skin
Surge of Power and 2 targets
- Change: as long as both targets don’t have Flame Shock or are in refreshable duration and spread range, use Earth Shock once to spread Flame Shock to both with Surge of Power.
Common misconceptions and mistakes
“I should try and play around Master of the Elements!”
The only time you should adjust your gameplay for Master of the Elements is when you have the liberty to cast a spell later with a Master of the Elements buff versus now – this means for a spell like Earth Shock, you can make the decision to wait until you have the Master of the Elements buff active before casting it (this is reflected in the priority above). This is thanks to the low urgency of Earth Shock casts, as you are not constrained by a cooldown or Maelstrom cost, since you can cast it at any point between 60 and 100 Maelstrom.
No. Elemental Blast doesn’t deal enough damage by quite a significant margin.
The change to Wind Gust stacks means Lava Burst is always stronger than Lightning Bolt, this means Storm Elemental does not interfere with the standard rotational priority at all in Single Target. In AoE with active T28: Fireheart 4p using procs even without an Flame Shock active is dps neutral so is an excellent movement global. See priority list and Special mentions above for more information.