Table of Contents
- Single target / two targets
- AoE (3 or more targets)
- Common misconceptions and mistakes
The elemental priority is fairly straightforward — the choice of which spell to cast next is often easy to make. The only issue you might face will be to learn the different ways the priorities shift with different talents. We have done our best to condense the SimulationCraft Action Priority List (APL) into a human-readable, easy to understand form. If you want to investigate any minor details, please refer to the APL in SimulationCraft or contact us on Discord.
After reading the APL, please pay attention to the special mentions below, because we couldn’t fit all special cases and handling into the readable formated APL.
If you have suggestions with sim evidence to back them up, please let us know on Discord.
Single target / two targets
- Cast Meteor / Eye of the Storm if no multi-target will happen soon. Make sure Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning before you activate Eye of the Storm.
- Cast Fire Elemental / Storm Elemental / Earth Elemental on cooldown. But don't screw your group with Earth Elemental.
- Cast Flame Shock when any of the following are true:
- Cast Primordial Wave on a target without Flame Shock or the target with the lowest duration remaining. Delay it if adds are gonna spawn, if it doesn't lead to you losing a use.
- Cast Vesper Totem on cooldown.
- Cast Fae Transfusion on cooldown (buff it with Master of the Elements if talented into that).
- Cast Stormkeeper on cooldown and ideally game it with Surge of Power if you selected this talent. See special cases below for more information.
- Cast Earthquake if you're fighting 2 or more enemies and it can do at least 8 ticks. If you use this changes to using Earthquake at three or more targets.
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Stormkeeper is active and when any of the following are true (if you don't see any following conditions, ignore this line):
- Cast Earth Shock. But read the special cases about delaying Earth Shock casts.
- Cast only Lightning Bolt while Storm Elemental if you are at 20 stacks of Wind Gust.
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Storm Elemental is active.
- Cast Frost Shock with the Icefury buff and Master of the Elements buff active.
- Cast Lava Burst with Surge of Power if you could get another use out of Storm Elemental/Fire Elemental or lengthen its last possible duration within the fight.
- Cast Lightning Bolt with Surge of Power buff active.
- Cast Lava Burst.
- Cast Frost Shock with the Icefury buff active.
- Cast Icefury on cooldown.
- Cast Chain Harvest.
- Cast Lightning Bolt as a filler.
- Cast Frost Shock in place of Lightning Bolt while moving, even if you do not have Icefury.
- Change: Delay Earth Shock to cast it with Master of the Elements instead.
- Priority of casts you want to empower with Master of the Elements from best to worst:
- Change: You pool Maelstrom before casting Stormkeeper to combo both empowered Lightning Bolt with Surge of Power
- Example cast sequence:
Combining Storm Elemental with Primal Elementalist enables access to Eye of the Storm. This powerful ability needs to be activated manually. Make sure to use it shortly after your Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning. Eye of the Storm is an incredible AoE CD and very useful for single target as well. Check out our FAQ for macros if you need help with that.
Surge of Power + 2 targets
- Change: as long as both targets don’t have Flame Shock or are in refreshable duration and spread range, use Earth Shock once to spread Flame Shock to both with Surge of Power.
AoE (3 or more targets)
- Cast Chain Harvest on cooldown.
- Cast Vesper Totem on cooldown.
- Cast PWave on cooldown. Make sure you have 3 Flame Shock up when casting the Lava Burst.
- Cast Meteor / Eye of the Storm against as many targets as possible. Make sure Storm Elemental buffs itself with Call Lightning before you activate Eye of the Storm.
- Cast Fire Elemental / Storm Elemental / Earth Elemental on cooldown (see the warning about Primal Elementalist).
- Cast Stormkeeper on cooldown.
- Maintain 3 Flame Shocks if there are 3 targets.
- Cast Earthquake when available. (Try gaming Master of the Elements.)
- Cast Lava Burst to consume Lava Surge procs when Storm Elemental is not active and you're fighting only 3 targets.
- Cast Chain Lightning.
Special mention Flame Shock can be maintained at 4 targets with Primordial Wave and during Fire Elemental. Because this is usually not the case, we opted to write 3 as the maximum number of spreads. Tread carefully, as this could otherwise backfire.
Special mention There are many caveats with Master of the Elements when in AoE situations. IF you have two or more equipped, it is generally worth using Lava Surge procs to empower Earthquakes, even on 4+ targets. On more than 4 targets, only apply flame shock to one of the targets, ideally a target with higher health than the rest. Use Lava Surge procs on the afflicted target in order to empower Earthquake. With this in mind, be careful not to overdo it; it will very likely result in a loss of DPS if enemies die before your Earthquake finishes ticking when you could have used the spell earlier.
Follow the cast sequences below for your chosen opener. A red arrow indicates the time the boss is pulled. Please note that openers are a very minor and nit-picky increase (or sometimes decrease!), and adapting to the fight is much more important.
Standard raid opener:
If you are using EB:
If you are using EB and PWave:
Common misconceptions and mistakes
“I should try and play around Master of the Elements!”
The only time you should adjust your gameplay for Master of the Elements is when you have the liberty to cast a spell later with a MotE buff versus now – this means for a spell like Earth Shock, you can make the decision to wait until you have the Master of the Elements buff active before casting it (this is reflected in the priority above). This is thanks to the low urgency of Earth Shock casts, as you are not constrained by a cooldown or Maelstrom cast, since you can cast it at any point between 60 and 100 Maelstrom.
No. Elemental Blast doesn’t deal enough damage by quite a significant margin.
Just continue playing your normal rotation until you reach 20 stack. At 20 stacks spam Lightning Bolt